11 August 2010

Plebeian Love | Davy Graham and the Dark Haired Ladies



Davy Graham in a clip from the 1969 movie Cain's Film, about the writer Alexander Trocchi.

All great art, and today all great artlessness, must appear extreme to the mass of men, as we know them today. It springs from the anguish of great souls. From the souls of men not formed, but deformed in factories whose inspiration is pelf.

-Alexander Trocchi



Guitarist Davy Graham playing Cry Me A River, as captured in a 1959 BBC documentary directed by Ken Russell on the rise in popularity of the guitar in Britain.

You drove me, nearly drove me, out of my head
While you never shed a tear
Remember, I remember, all that you said
You told me love was too plebeian
Told me you were through with me and

Now you say you love me
Well, just to prove that you do
Come on and cry me a river
Cry me a river
I cried a river over you
Cry Me a River Lyrics by Arthur Hamilton